What is a Music Publishing Company and what do they do? There are a lot of positive and negative stories that circulate when this topic is brought up. There have been a lot of mistakes that resulted in catastrophic income loss in this industry. Also there have been many MORE success stories so make sure you research to develop a CUSTOMIZED CAMPAIGN, that fits what you are looking for. What fits your song writing status? Are you a composer? Music Producer? Singer/songwriter?
By law as soon as a song writer, composer or producer calls any set rhythm or melody and lyric in fixed form immediately grants you Public Performance, Distribution, Derivative Works, Reproduction, Digital Transmission and Public Display rights. You have the exclusive right to allow others to play and hear your music. Making copies for digital download or remix royalties are also options. Publishing administration is the best value for most cases. They manage your ownership changes with your society and distributor, register your music and make sure all agreements are legal.
When a songwriter is finished with a piece of music the next professional step would be registration through Performing Rights Society or PRS. These are companies that will get you in the public eye. Sync music companies that distribute to film, TV, Games, Apps, commercials, etc. Then (sometimes) converted to sheet music for sales, radio stations in hopes of increasing record sales.
These are only THREE of the SIX Types of Royalties:
(Follow us by signing up for our Email List to find out more about future Blog Posts about Royalties)
- Public Performance Royalties means that your music is being played at a Live music venue like a store or restaurant, digital services and websites, terrestrial radio (AM/FM), TV stations etc. These people should be licensed and pay royalties to the artists. The best way to collect these royalties are BMI, ASCAP, SOCAN or SESAC
- Mechanical Royalties are compensation of streaming plays, individual labels that distribute your music with retailers to sell physical unit copies or digital downloads. CDBaby, Medianet, HFA are some of the companies that pay for this service.
- Synchronization Royalties is when background music is added to film, commercials and even remixes or anything of that nature. Sheet music is when a song is transcribed into piano, guitar and other instruments through books and available to profit from physical and/or online retail.
Protecting your music with a publisher means that they are collecting income from booking events, and distributing music deals. Their primary intentions are to raise your brands profile, profits and future opportunities by getting you hired (in a nutshell). To Promote! To Protect! And To Account for ALL Music Compositions! Broadcasting to affiliated businesses, websites. Ultimately tracking the royalties of registered music that is sent out to the public eye to get you paid. Attaining music placements on radio, television, games, and film. Endorsements that result in repetitive commercials, that are royalties for the brand. To most people this task sounds like a power house team of music professionals are needed with such big words and phrases but when simplified, this task is laying within your own network.
Some options are to open your own publishing company and assign various roles to each member of the band or production team. As the company and band progresses through booking shows and/or content placements, hopefully you’ll be fortunate enough to hire your most die-hard fans as future employees or partners. There are Self Publishing, Co publishing, and publishing administration options. Accessing a global revenue of the streaming evolution has steps. Take time and do your research before making any commitments.
To learn more about Follow Us and refer a Music Friend to help us build even MORE of a
Quality Music Community!
Follow Our Email List Provided Below and We Will Send More Articles Your Way!
- “The Broccoli Tree” by Jibba The Gent, New England Hip Hop! - December 31, 2017
- Fayro and Arcelio Productions Presents: “Memphis” on Spotify - December 30, 2017
- Beat Author Records’ Breaking Artists - December 30, 2017
- MC Stimulator Holiday Merchandise Sale - December 23, 2017
- World Premiere “Fuego” by Dramatik | MelodySupply.com - December 10, 2017
- MelodySupply.com Spotify Promotion Playlist | Subscribe Today! - December 10, 2017
- New Music from Quake Matthews x Neon Dreams - November 25, 2017
- Most Popular Streaming Services Paying Unsigned Music Artists - October 22, 2017
- Brand New Boiiing Boiiing Frenzying Dnb EP - October 16, 2017
- Clemm Rishad “The Code” Official Video - October 13, 2017